4/05/2008

7 - There's A Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer

An ASL (a mixture of free and literal) translation of a children book, "There's a Nightmare in My Closet" by Mercer Mayer.

This clip is posted with crossed-hands-over-heart "uncle-ly" thoughts to my nephew, Jason Katz, and niece, Breeann Katz. They were in my thoughts as I signed 23 children books into ASL in 1994 and 1995. It was with pride and joy that I gave them hand-crafted 23 tapes of children books in ASL. Now, they have grown, soon out of their father's nest, and I wish them all the best after graduation. I look forward standing by them as they proceed in the next many stages of life.

The first set in 1994, I signed only in one version, a mixture of free and literal translation. The second set, I did 12 books in three versions (word, literal, and free translation). That is why the video clips in this website have a various number of versions from one to four. In 2004, I re-signed Where the Wild Things Are in four version (the first of "1001" books here). When I have more time (probably in the summer), I will begin signing more books, hopefully in 4 versions, and post them.



Enjoy the boy's nightmarish descent into his closet clip here . . .

7 comments:

Val said...

Hi I remembered that book. I use my deaf voice to my son over and over. Your ASL is way better and more beautiful!

Anonymous said...

you do an awesome job; thanks for all the interpretations

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your dedication in what you are doing. I am going to share your children lit vlogs with our DHH program.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite children book!!! You did fantastic job!! loved it!! good facial expression and very clearly ASL storytelling! I hope you will tell story called "Where the Wild Things Are" is also my favorite!

good job!!!
:) Gary Brooks
garybdir.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

God Blessed You!
Love it!
You're in My Favorites!

Anonymous said...

God has blessed You! You're in
My Favorites
Thanks for the ~smiles~

Anonymous said...

I will add this blog to my favorites, it is great.