3/23/2008

3 - The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

A children book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, is translated into three versions by Charles Katz.

One thing that needs to be mentioned is that you will see some ASL classifiers in the word for word version (or transliteration - from text to English sign order). This version was signed in 1995. I found it very interesting to notice that I inserted ASL classifiers in my straight English signing. It reflected a couple of things. I could not keep to just signing each word alone - too dry. It shows how natural ASL grammar filtered into my English sign order. When I sign more books, I will attempt to keep to word for word signing and save ASL classifiers for either free and/or literal translations.

Enjoy watching how the hungry caterpillar lick and chew its way to butterflyhood. Click away . . .



Above is a free translation (from text and images) of the book.



Above is a literal translation (only from the text) of the book.



Above is a word for word translation (signing each word - some ASL) of the book.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey 78er!
That is really cool! Because I did read this book to my daughter when she was little.
JC

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric, e-mail Mr. Mike Burton at www.burtonvision.com. We like your storytelling. You're fantastic! Keep telling stories! ~'o)MM

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric, I mean keep signing stories! ~'o) MM

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrie said...

I'm just learning ASL and these stories are great! not only do i love children's books, but the different ways you tell them and the clarity of your signs is really helping me practice! Thank you and please keep making more!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for all your work on these stories! This is an amazing resource for parents and teachers. What a great service you are providing!

sheena said...

Our 5 month old baby daughter was recently diagnosed with moderate to severe hearing loss and we are beginning the journey of hearing aids, some auditory oral therapy and learning ASL (even though our ENT said signing was completely unnecessary). Our other children are 8, 4, and 2 years old.
This classic book has remained one of our very favorites and your free interpretation brought tears to my eyes. I never knew that signing could be so expressive and such a joy to "listen" to. I enjoyed your translation even much more than the book itself.
Having the literal word per word translation, while not quite as much fun, is very helpful because now I can learn all the signs in the book and my kids and I can practice signing the book. I think I may even introduce signing as a subject during our day (we home school) and the kids and I will start learning to sign our favorite books.
Learning new vocabulary in the context of a fun classic story is much easier than learning from a dictionary. "The wise person makes learning a joy" -one of my favorite Proverbs.
What a super resource. I am so excited about these books and my kids and I will check out your site often. (We were referred here by our Omaha Early Intervention Services Coordinator). Thank you!

sheena said...

Sheena again. I forgot to ask- I'd like to share your free translation with my friends and family on Facebook, if you don't mind. Since many of them are familiar with this book and completely unfamiliar with signing, it's the perfect way to introduce our loved ones to how much fun signing can be. The way you illustrate through sign is every bit as colorful as Eric Carl's artwork. I know our friends will find themselves completely engrossed in this story within seconds the way I was. Is there a way I can post this to my FB account?

cnkatz said...

Sheena, I am delighted that this helped you a lot with your baby. Feel free to share this with anyone. The website was started due to that main reason! Enjoy -

Anonymous said...

I suggest you to visit a site on which there is a lot of information on this question.

andrea@signshine.com said...

Excellent Resource! I'm a teacher teache ASL1 and this has been a wonderful sight to practice our skills. Thanks! :) Andrea T.