2/23/2008

2 - The Snowy Day by Ezra Keats

A children book, The Snowy Day by Ezra Keats, translated into ASL three ways by Charles Katz. In order below - free, literal, and word for word translations.

I got an email (see below) from a hearing 1st grade teacher in the DC area wanting to use the clips from 1001 Books in ASL in her classroom for her hearing students. This demonstrated the technological power of youtube and the blogs in diffusing the "image" of ASL into the hearing world. We, the Deaf in the field of ASL teaching, know that there are more and more non-native signers teaching or spreading ASL, probably to our discomfort. At least, the more the hearing world is picking up their dormant hands to express their thoughts and communicate in non-aural way.




above - freely translated into ASL (English text and images into ASL)



above - literally translated into ASL (only English text into ASL)


above - word for word translated (signing word for word - but you ll see some ASL signs in it - see for yourself)
**************
(Here is the paste from an email I got - put delightful warm smile in my heart)
Hello! I saw your videos on youtube and read your blog, and I just want to tell you that I think what you are doing is amazing! I'm so excited to see your translations and I will be using them in my classroom (if that's okay with you). :) Where are you from? I live near Washington, DC. I teach 1st grade, hearing kids, but we sign a LOT! I learned to sign from a close friend wen I was a kid, and I love to sign to my students. I might be teaching a kids ASL class to hearing kids this summer, and I'm excited to be able to show them your books. If I can make a suggestion (one of MY favorite books), you should add There's a Nightmare in my Closet by Mercer Mayer to your collection. Also, ANYTHING by Bill Peet, though his stories get very long and detailed, so i may take a lot of time to do 4 versions of his stories.



Thanks so much for providing such wonderful visually stimulating translations! You are a very talented storyteller and a joy to watch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME....BEAUTIFUL...WONDERFUL!!!
What a fantastic resource for families and teachers alike!!!
I just sent a link to a bunch of people I know! I will llok for ways to use this in my program with families of young deaf children!

BRAVO!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!